Wednesday, January 20, 2010

From Pastor Mikes Blog

It has taken me some time to write this blog regarding Haiti’s recent earthquake. I have been in a state of shock. I think I kept hoping they would find massive number of people under pockets of concrete surviving. I been amazed by the stories and have hurt for the losses that keep compounding. I want my words to be brief, but my actions and love to be loud (1 John 3:17-18) . It would just be wrong to a have a blog site dedicated to thinking and living beyond borders and not to mourn and reflect with and on Haiti.

I want to first join with the co-laborers from Grace Point Church (GPC) in praying for the work and people of Haiti that GPC members have been investing their life in for the past 7 years. Their labor has been faithful and sacrificial throughout these years. In my estimate, we have commissioned 35 or more members from our church to serve in Haiti. They have helped to build Joy House, prayed over the voodoo temple, and have started the workings of a congregation. Thank you, John and Kay Rodgers, for being the GPC champions of the Haitians. We stand with you as you collect supplies and return to Haiti as soon as you can to rebuild the work and lives of the Haitians you love so much. GPC stands with you financially and in prayer. Learn more about GPC’s work in Haiti on their blog.

On a national scale, I am thankful for the North American Mission Board’s and the International Mission Board’s disaster relief efforts that they are engaging throughout the nation. No one feeds or serves the least of these better in the name of Christ and in times of crisis than Southern Baptists and their Disaster Relief units. If you would like to give to a fund that 100% will go to helping Haiti survive this crisis, consider making monetary gifts to the SBC Disaster Relief. There are a lot of people willing to take your money to “help” in Haiti. I would like to think it will all get to the right place and do what you intend for a gift to do. I think we have learned from Katrina, there are those who don’t share in the same level of financial accountability as other established relief organizations. Consider the SBC Disaster Relief a solid choice. This is the fund my family will be giving our donations to.

Finally, I heard an inspiring story regarding a missionary who was on the ground capturing the story of Haitian children with Compassion International. It is an amazing story regarding the value of life and writing your last letter. Watch the story and consider going on the Last letter website and typing your own last letter as you live beyond borders. It may be a very healthy exercise for us all.

Click on this link for the video and be blessed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34933049#34933049

No comments:

Post a Comment