Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm Just A Kid, What Can I Do In Haiti?

This was my first trip to Haiti. I knew last year after the earthquake that I was supposed to go to Haiti. The very first year my mom went to Haiti God promised her that she would go back one day with me. I have been so excited about this trip, but didn't really know what I would do there. My mom reminded me that if I was willing God would use me. Our first full day in Haiti we got to visit House of Hope. It is an orphanage run by Ms. Alice. My mom, dad, and I went there in the morning to see Ms. Alice and ask if the team could come back later. It was really cool to see my mom get to see her friend again. Ms. Alice hugged my mom hard and kept saying, "My friend, my friend." We went back to House of Hope with the team that afternoon. We took a bunch of crayons and pictures so we could color with the kids. It was so much fun. The kids loved having their picture taken.

I loved playing with the kids everywhere we went. It's kind of like that's what God called me to do, just love on kids and play with them. The team teased me saying everywhere we went the thing they heard the most was my name. I made a lot of friends. They really liked playing with my hair, even the moms did. I also helped my mom and Ms. Kay with VBS. I taught the actions to the songs. It was a lot of fun dancing and praising God. I even helped my mom teach the Bible story one day. I mostly sat with the kids and held the little ones on my lap. When we would come back to a church, the kids would start yelling my name. It was kind of funny.

Our last day in Haiti, we got to visit another orphanage. I loved it there. We sang songs and danced with the kids. We also blew up balloons. The kids would ask my mom if I was her daughter. There was one boy that asked my mom that and then said that she is his mom now too. Guess I have a Haitian brother named Demetri now. I loved holding the little ones. I really want a little sister, especially after playing with all the little girls in Haiti. I am praying extra hard that God will send me a sister soon. It would be ok with me if He sent her from Haiti.

I really learned a lot in Haiti. God took me out of my comfort zone. I even did the team devotion one morning. I taught the team a cheer from day camp. I am blessed…to be a blessing! It was just such an awesome experience. I made some really great friend. I really liked the guys at Joy House. They were so much fun and always watched out for me. I'm so glad I went to Haiti and that God showed me that I'm not too small to do stuff for Him. Even just holding babies and loving on kids is important. Anything we do for God isn't useless.

Written by Abby T.

No comments:

Post a Comment