Thursday, August 19, 2010

Open My Eyes Lord

This was my third trip to Haiti. I've gone with Grace Point on two of their previous trips and I've seen God do amazing things. However, it still didn't prepare me for what God had planned. He opened my eyes to things that I had missed over the past two years and even allowed me to face personal struggles that I had been dealing with for months. It really is amazing to see what God can do when you take away all of the distractions that you allow into your daily life. No television, internet, facebook, cell phone...It reminds me of something that I heard, although I can't remember where- "Americans are busy doing nothing." When I'm in Haiti, I feel purpose in everything that I do. Even in times of rest, we're so joyous! Spending time talking to your friends rather than watching a movie can do surprising things in friendships, as I learned very clearly. : )

One experience that I want to share is a conversation that I had with a young woman who was only a few years older than me. She had two babies sitting on her lap, one of which shared my name. : ) I asked her what had happened to her during the earthquake, and it turned out that she was actually giving birth to her triplets in a hospital. She said that when the walls started shaking, she began screaming for Jesus to save her. Although one of her children didn't make it, she told me that Jesus had saved her other two children, as well as herself. Hearing that she had called out for Jesus and that she now gave Him the credit for saving her, I assumed that she had a relationship with Him. I told her that I was so happy to hear that God had saved them, and that I knew that He had a special plan for her two children. As I was getting up to leave, she began speaking to the translator, who then told me that she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart. She was trying to tell me that Jesus had saved them from the earthquake, and so she now trusted Him and wanted Him as her Savior. I had failed to ask her about her relationship with Jesus. I assumed, and it was the wrong assumption. Had it been only me, I would have walked away. Fortunately, it wasn't only me. God was there, and He impressed upon the woman what needed to be done. Despite my own failures, I have a new sister in Christ!

I thank God that he allowed me to experience this. Talking to people about God is one of the most intimidating things in the world for me to do. However, what I learned is that although God uses me, He doesn't need me. What I mean is that God wants me to go, to witness, to encourage. And I want to do these things more than anything in the world, but there are times when I'm going to fail. Thankfully, God is sovereign, and my failure is not His failure. Even if I mess up tremendously, like I did with this woman, God will be there. What I am praying for now is that I can take this with me to college. I don't want to let fears or timidness or insecurities block me from becoming a young woman who tells of her love for God. So please pray for me. I really don't believe that this mission is supposed to end quite yet! : )

(Written by Mindi F. - Team Member)

No comments:

Post a Comment