Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nothing Prepares You For Haiti

No amount of preparation is enough, watching CNN or Fox News won't do it, nor will devouring everything on the Internet - not my mission trip to Africa – nor listening to the stories of those who have gone before me. Nothing could have prepared me for visiting the poorest country in the western hemisphere, after it was hit by a devastating earthquake. Nothing prepares you for Haiti. Nothing!

I wasn't prepared to see the small children living amidst the piles of garbage, to see them bathing in pot holes in the street –using dirty infected water for bathing and I certainly wasn't prepared for the children living in tents on the median – with cars flying by – smoke from burning plastic seeping into their tents along with exhaust fumes from vehicles. I wasn't prepared to see God's most precious children in such desperate need.

We met Madam Yvonne whose sister died in the earthquake and who now lives with her sister's five children along with her own three in what appeared to be a two person tent. It is hard to judge the age of children in Haiti because of malnutrition, but I would guess that these eight children were all under the age of 9. When asked what she needed most, Yvonne quickly said shelter for the children.

I also wasn't prepared for how happy these children are to see you, how much love they will offer you and how in such a short time, they will simply capture your heart. As we walked from hut-to-hut in Leagone – we had children happily chatting to us in Creole – holding our hands, arms and the wee little one with the big brown eyes who held onto my skirt because she was too small to reach my hand.

As I tucked my grand baby into bed last night, with his Land before Time movie and a glass of water, I thought of those small children in Haiti who have none of these items – most importantly they don't have the basic essentials – a dry place to lay their head – food – basic hygiene items – clothing.

I wasn't prepared to feel so helpless or for God to lay such a burden on my heart – these children will forever hold a piece of my heart. God has blessed me mightily by sending me to Haiti and I feel a great responsibility to continue helping in some capacity.

(Written by Mary B. - Team Member)

No comments:

Post a Comment