Wednesday, August 11, 2010

They Blessed Me!

I don't even know where to begin. I first want to thank John and Kay Rodgers
for the tremendous amount of time and effort they spent planning the trip,
training our team, and being incredible servant leaders to all of us. Their
heart for Haiti is very evident and I learned so much by their example. Each
day we were there was amazing in it's own way. It's hard to choose one
particular event to write about because there are so many.

The time we spent at Lifeline Orphanage in Carrefour was definitely special
to me. I fell in love with the children there and didn't want to leave when
it was time to go. Although they have little in material possessions, their
smiles were contagious as they sang and danced for us. We gave them balloons
and blew bubbles with them and their laughter was like the sound of music to
my ears. I went there to bless them and instead they blessed me!

One moment that I can't forget is on Friday August 6th, our last full day of
ministry, we built a transition home for a lady who attends Jesus Church at
Santos. Some members of our team were talking with her and her family and I
noticed the lady kept smiling as she watched her house go up. Just as we
were finishing, I walked around to the back side of the house to take a
photo. As I came around the corner, there stood this lady with her hands in
the air, her eyes closed, and she was obviously praising and thanking God
for her new home, and dedicating it to the Lord! I stood there quietly not
wanting to interrupt her prayer meeting. When she opened her eyes she looked
at me and smiled and I gave her a big hug. Even though I couldn't speak her
language, there was an understanding between us and I felt God's presence so
strong. In my heart I was praising God with her! I'll never forget her
smile, the look of thankfulness in her eyes, and the love of God on her
face. Just like those children at Lifeline Orphanage, we were there to bless
her by building a shelter for her family, yet she blessed me far beyond what
she'll ever know!

(Written by Roxanne C. - Team Member)

No comments:

Post a Comment