Thursday, August 12, 2010

1 Timothy 4:12

A song by Hillsong titled "Hosanna" seemed fitting for this experience. The song says "I see a generation rising up to take their place, with selfless faith. I see a near revival stirring as we pray and seek, we're on our knees." The kids of Haiti will be the new generation whom I believe is going to change Haiti. The song continues "Heal my heart and make it clean, open up my eyes to the things unseen. Show me how to love like you have loved me. Break my heart for what breaks yours, everything I am for your kingdoms cause, as I go from nothing to eternity." This trip opened up my eyes and broke my heart for the despair that this country and the people are in.

The children is where my heart is called to. Our last Bible school was one of my favorite parts of this trip. We went to Carrefour for this one and again had somewhere around 200 people in the church. We had done the story of David and Goliath at all the other Bible schools and decided we needed something different. It was put together all kind of last minute which really allowed God to work it all out instead of us. God pointed us to the story of Jonah and the whale. Jonah is about a man whom God called to talk to a city called Nineveh because they were not living for God. Jonah was too scared though so he thought he could get on a ship and run away. God sent a storm so Jonah was sent overboard. He was swallowed by a whale where he stayed for 3 days.

Jonah prayed and told God he would follow his will so God tossed him back on land and he went to Nineveh. So there's a little more to the story than that but this is my short version so you can understand what we talked to the kids about. I had felt a little like Jonah all week, being nervous about talking to people about God and praying a lot for courage and boldness and the right words to speak, which he always provides! That's why God placed me up there to talk to these people. I was honest with everyone about being nervous but stressed the importance of following Gods will and sharing Christ with others. We talked about how God wants to have a relationship with people and what that looks like. God is like a best friend. You talk to him through prayer, learn about him by reading the Bible, and spend time with him in church. Then Kay spoke about what Jesus did for us and how we can have a relationship with God.

That day 11 people made a decision for Christ. These hearts were healed and made clean and these people really are going from nothing to eternity. It is so exciting to know that those 11 people will never be the same, their lives are changed because they know God. They have the potential to change the people around them. 1 Timothy 4:12 says "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." These kids will set an example and I believe they will make a difference in many people's lives. Children set a great example of love, faith, and purity and I learned a lot from them while we were in Haiti.

(Written by Bridgett C. - Team Member)

No comments:

Post a Comment