Monday, August 16, 2010

All For His Glory ...

When I know that I don't deserve anything from Him, God chooses to bless me beyond anything I could think of. I've never been more aware of that then while in Haiti. It was incredible to serve God in Haiti alongside some of the best friends I've ever had. One of the greatest blessings that He shared with me was a new friendship with one particular Haitian guy that began during that week.

I met Jin Johnny at the very end of our first morning of hut-to-hut witnessing in Leogane. My group was waiting on the other teams to finish when I saw a young guy watching us as he walked past. I called him over and began talking to him about his life. He is 21. His mom died when he was young and his dad died during the earthquake in January. He wants to be an engineer someday, but he is only at the 5th grade level right now. He said Haiti is a difficult place to live and he wants to move to the US or France, but he doesn't have the money yet. In turn, I told him about my life, and then, we discussed our relationships with God. He knew the Bible well and told me about his prayers and his church (about a 45 minute walk away). I encouraged him to be a leader around his family and friends and told him how glad I was that God led me to meet him. I saw him once more that afternoon at the bible study in Leogane, and we hated to say goodbye so soon.

In the few minutes that we talked, God showed me that I could just as easily have been me in Jin's shoes struggling to live my best for him in the situation he had been born into. But for no particular reason, God chose for me to be in a very different situation. I have both of my amazing parents. I have more material things than I could ever use. I have money in my bank account, and I know that when I get hungry, food will be waiting. I take a shower or two everyday. There is gas in my tank, and I sleep between clean sheets in a soft bed under a stable roof that I don't worry might collapse each night. After being in Haiti, it's hard not to feel guilty about having so much.

I know now that I have more resources at my disposal than I could ever use efficiently. I don't know why God chose to bless me like this, but I am learning through His love that I want to do everything I can to use what He has given me to bring Him more glory and to continue to share my life with people like Jin. Please pray for him and all of Haiti while the number of people that seek to glorify God daily continues to grow there!

(Written by Mac H. - Team Member)

No comments:

Post a Comment