Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Overwhelming Joy

At first glance, all I saw in Haiti were blue tarps, collapsed buildings, and four wheeler trails for roads. Trash was everywhere, and the smells made me sick to my stomach. I could not believe people could live there.

When we attended church on Sunday, I saw something you could never see in the States. Under boards and a tarp, 100+ people worshipped God for two and a half hours in the blistering heat. Mud from the rain the night before covered the children's feet. I wondered how far they had walked to get there, but their joy was inspiring. Everyone was smiling. I felt privileged to be there.

I saw the same joy in people's lives throughout the week. I could not understand why people seemed happy. I saw devastation, but everyone was content with the little they had.

My trip to Haiti changed the way I view my life. Could I be joyful in their situation? Honestly, I do not think I could. I went to Haiti to help the Haitians. I left thanking God for how they helped me.

(Written by Blake R. - Team Member)

No comments:

Post a Comment