Sunday, August 15, 2010

Overwhelming Peace

Haiti captured my heart several years ago. Now, I feel as if I leave part of myself there each time I go - but, I also bring more and more of Haiti home with me when I leave. The relationships that have been built over the years are special blessings, and each trip brings more new friends.

Pastor Benito is one of those special people that we have worked with for the past six years. He has been our translator each trip, but the past couple of years we have worked with him to reach out to the people in the community surrounding his church. He is a very humble, quiet and gentle man, but he has helped us to proclaim the Good News of Christ with boldness.

A few weeks ago, Benito shared with us about a new church that he and another pastor helped start near Leogane after the earthquake. He asked us if we would be interested in working with him in this area. Of course we were excited at the opportunity.

We arrived at the "tent" church and Pastor Benito introduced us to Pastor Joshua. John and I had the privilege of sitting down with both of them and hearing their story of how this church began. Right after the earthquake, they had been preaching each night in the tent cities and several people gave their life to Christ. These new believers needed a church to help them grow in their relationship with Christ, so Benito and Joshua helped make that happen. This church began meeting in April and has been averaging 40 on Sunday mornings, and they have been meeting a couple of nights a week for prayer and Bible Study.

Before we finished, the four of us spent some time praying for our team, the ministries planned for the afternoon, and for the people of this church and community. This was one of the most incredible experiences of this trip for me. Benito and Joshua prayed in Creole, and even though I didn't understand every word they prayed, there was an overwhelming peace that flooded that tent. I knew that we were all one in heart and that God had great things in store for this church and its leaders. I thank God for a new friend and I pray His blessings on Joshua and his family. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a part of what God is doing through this new church. Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Kay Rodgers

No comments:

Post a Comment